You can easily determine if your iPhone can be jailbroken or unlocked using a tool called f0recast. The f0recast utility works for both Mac OS X and Windows and lets you quickly identify if your iOS device qualifies for hacking. The tool works with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and all the iPod touch models.
How to tell if you can jailbreak and unlock your iPhone
- First you’ll need to download the f0recast tool, you can get the Windows and Mac versions from here, it’s a small app
- After f0recast has downloaded, launch the application
- Look under Jailbreakable and Unlockable
Obviously if it says “Yes” then you are good to go. Sometimes you’ll have both Yes and No, as you can see in the screenshot above. There are other ways to tell if your device can be jailbroken but I find using f0recast to be the easiest, particularly for novice jailbreakers.
Once you have determined your iPhone or iPod touch can be jailbroken, you’ll want to get a jailbreak app:
- limera1n download (Mac & Windows)
- greenpois0n download (Mac, Windows, Linux)
- PwnageTool (Mac only)
- Sn0wbreeze 2.1 download (Windows only)
The apps are easy to use, but you’re not sure what to do I would suggest using greenpois0n or limera1n since they are more novice friendly, plus you can follow limera1n jailbreak instructions.
If you’re looking to unlock, try unlocking an iPhone 4 with ultrasn0w. If f0recast tells you “No” regarding an unlock, this means that your current firmware version can not be unlocked.