Wondering where you can get all the iPhone firmware files from? Here’s the direct download links for all of the iPhone IPSW firmware files from version 3.0.0 on up through 4.1.0 for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4. Note that we are not hosting the files, they are direct links to Apple’s web servers.
iPhone IPSW Firmware Downloads
The firmware files can be quite large (600MB in some cases) so don’t be surprised if it takes a while to download. It’s easiest to just right-click on the file you want and save it directly, some users experience trouble with Safari when directly clicking the download URL.
- 3.0.0 (iPhone 2G): iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
- 3.0.0 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
- 3.0.0 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
- 3.0.1 (iPhone 2G): iPhone1,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw
- 3.0.1 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw
- 3.0.1 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.0 (iPhone 2G): iPhone1,1_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.0 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.0 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.2 (iPhone 2G): iPhone1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.2 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.2 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.3 (iPhone 2G): iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.3 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
- 3.1.3 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.0 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.0 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.0 (iPhone 4): iPhone3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.1 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.1 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.1 (iPhone 4): iPhone3,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.2 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.2 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw
- 4.0.2 (iPhone 4): iPhone3,1_4.0.2_8A400_Restore.ipsw
- 4.1.0 (iPhone 3G): iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
- 4.1.0 (iPhone 3GS): iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
- 4.1.0 (iPhone 4): iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw
- IPSW 4.2 has not been released yet to the public, iOS 4.2 is scheduled for release in November. If you are a developer, you can download iOS 4.2 beta 3 now.
We will update this list when new IPSW releases become available.
Local IPSW File Locations
Any iPhone IPSW files that you have already downloaded from iTunes are stored locally on your machine. You can access these directly at the following locations:
Mac OS X: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
Windows Vista & Windows 7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
What are IPSW files anyway?
The IPSW acronym is thought to stand for iPhone Software. IPSW files are essentially just packages to deliver updates to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch including the baseband and firmware. Anytime you update your device iTunes will grab a new IPSW from Apple’s servers. People are generally concerned with IPSW files for either exploration into the workings of iOS and the iPhone, or for jailbreaking and unlocking purposes.
IPSW files are most pertinent to Pwnage since you can use a custom IPSW file if you wanted to. You can download PwnageTool 4.1 if you need it. Two less complicated jailbreak options that don’t require mucking with IPSW files are limera1n and greenpois0n.
Recent rulings have ensured that jailbreaking your iPhone is not illegal, although Apple maintains that it will void your warranty. For this reason if you ever need iPhone warranty service, be sure to unjailbreak your iPhone before taking it into Apple. There are mixed reports of Apple caring and not being concerned that phones are jailbroken, but your mileage may vary and it’s best to play it safe.