iOS 5.1.1 has been released for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, the software update comes as build 9B206 and includes a variety of bug fixes including an HDR photo issue, improved AirPlay, iPad network switching, an iTunes store fix, and improvements to Safari reading list syncing. The official changelog is listed below, and the software update is recommended to install for all iOS users.
Updating to iOS 5.1.1
The two simplest methods to update to iOS 5.1.1 are either through iTunes update or on the iOS device itself through OTA updates. Connect the iOS device to iTunes and install the update when prompted, or on the iOS device tap on “Settings” then “General” and then “Software Update”. For the bandwidth conscious, the OTA update on device is the leanest, with the update weighing in around 45MB.
Download iOS 5.1.1 IPSW Directly
These are direct download links to firmware files hosted by Apple, right-click and “Save As” for best results. The file extension should be .ipsw and nothing else, using IPSW files is easy but for most users it’s recommended to download through iTunes or the iOS device.
- iPad 1
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 GSM (ATT)
- iPad 2 CDMA (Verizon)
- iPad 2,4 (New iPad 2)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi
- iPad 3 GSM
- iPad 3 CDMA
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 GSM
- iPhone 4 CDMA
- iPhone 4S
- iPod touch 3rd gen
- iPod touch 4th gen
Note the ISPW files are significantly larger than the delta updates available through OTA software update, and are generally best used by advanced users.
iOS 5.1.1 Changelog
Courtesy of Apple:
- Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
- Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
- Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
- Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
- Fixes an issue where ‘Unable to purchase’ alert could be displayed after successful purchase