iOS 5.1.1 was just released by Apple and believe it or not has already been jailbroken for some A4 devices. The jailbreak remains tethered, for the uninitiated that means each time the iOS device is rebooted it will need to connect to a computer and boot with the assistance of redsn0w.
Compatibility for this jailbreak includes iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th gen. The iPad 2, iPhone 4S, or iPad 3 are not yet supported.
How to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Redsn0w
As with any jailbreak, be sure to backup before proceeding.
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b8b (Mac OS X, Windows)
- Upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 either by OTA update, iTunes, or by manually installing through IPSW
- Download iOS 5.1 IPSW for the device you are using and save it somewhere easy to find, yes download the older version of iOS despite upgrading to iOS 5.1.1
- Launch Redsn0w and click on “Extras”
- Click on “Select IPSW” and locate the iOS 5.1 IPSW you just downloaded
- Click “Back” and then click on “Jailbreak”
- Follow on-screen instructions to enter into DFU mode
- Let Redsn0w run and install the jailbreak, the iOS device will eventually reboot and look for the Cydia icon to confirm the jailbreak has worked
The need to select older IPSW will likely be eliminated in an upcoming release of redsn0w, but for the time being it remains necessary.
Remember to boot tethered every time you the device turns on and off, that is done by launching Redsn0w, selecting “Extras” and choosing “Just Boot” from the options.